Just last week, between verbal cannons fired at the Video Music Awards, "pretty motherf---er" Bruno Mars and the fashion industry, Kanye West[1] told the crowd at the Brooklyn stop on his Yeezus Tour[2] that "I signed my deal a week and a half ago." No one really knew who Kanye West was talking about during the fiery tirade, but on Monday (November 25) he sat down with New York's Hot 97[3] to explain.


Speaking with Angie Martinez, Kanye confirmed that he's ending his longheld partnership with Nike to ink a deal with shoe rival Adidas. Why would 'Ye leave a relationship that spawned such creations as the Air Yeezys[4] ? Well, it's all about Baby North[5] .


While he sarcastically thanked the shoe giant for giving him a "bigger sandbox to play in" in the form of two collections, the Yeezus rapper said Nike never offered him royalties.(He explained it's because he's not a professional athlete.) And when you have a little one to think about, that just won't do.


"The old me might have taken this Nike deal because I just love Nike so much, blah, blah, blah," he said, "But the new me with a daughter takes the Adidas deal because I have royalties and I have to provide for my daughter."


And besides the financial aspect, he said he wants a company that will appreciate his fashion sense and his status as "the Tupac of product."


"I brought back that feeling you ain't never felt about a shoe since the Jordans. I put that feeling, that same feeling I put in College Dropout, in Graduation," he said of his passion for designing shoes, before wrapping up with another Kanyeism to add to the books:


"I'm going to be the first hip-hop designer, and because of that I'mma be bigger than Wal-Mart."



References



  1. ^ Kanye West (www.mtv.com)

  2. ^ Brooklyn stop on his Yeezus Tour (www.mtv.com)

  3. ^ Hot 97 (www.hot97.com)

  4. ^ Air Yeezys (www.mtv.com)

  5. ^ Baby North (www.mtv.com)



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top