ABC News' Amy Robach made a shocking announcement on Good Morning America Monday, Nov. 11: The veteran TV journalist, 40, was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, and will soon undergo a double mastectomy.


PHOTOS: Stars who have had mastectomies[1]


"The diagnosis that's still hard for me to say out loud. I have breast cancer," Robach said in Monday's segment, which included heartwarming photos with her family, including actor husband of three years Andrew Shue. "I know that I have a fight ahead of me. But I also know that I have a lot worth fighting for."


Amy Robach gets a mammogram during a live broadcast on Good Morning America on October 1, 2013

Amy Robach gets a mammogram during a live broadcast on Good Morning America on October 1, 2013

Credit: Ida Mae Astute/ABC via Getty



Robach only underwent the crucial breast cancer test after GMA anchor and cancer survivor Robin Roberts urged her to do so for a live, on-camera segment. Recalling Roberts' advice, Robach said in the segment: "If I got the mammogram on air and it saved one life, then it's all worth it. It never occurred to me that that life would be mine."


PHOTOS: Stars who've beat cancer[2]


Following the pre-taped segment, an understandably emotional Robach chatted live with Roberts and another colleague on-air. "It's absolutely surreal to be sitting here. But as scary as it all is, I'm so so lucky -- because you guys ppushed me to that mammogram -- thank god you did, I wasn't in any rush to have that done any time soon."


PHOTOS: Best-dressed TV hosts[3]


When Robach told Roberts "You saved my life," Roberts corrected her: "You saved your life, Amy."



References



  1. ^ PHOTOS: Stars who have had mastectomies (www.usmagazine.com)

  2. ^ PHOTOS: Stars who've beat cancer (www.usmagazine.com)

  3. ^ PHOTOS: Best-dressed TV hosts (www.usmagazine.com)



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top