MSNBC has yanked Alec Baldwin's show Up Late for two weeks as a result of the uproar[1] stemming from his use of a homophobic slur.


But GLAAD says the move is not enough. "Alec Baldwin still needs to take real action," the organization's vice president of communications, Rich Ferraro, said tonight in a statement. "MSNBC has sent a message that anti-gay slurs carry consequences, and that's an important standard to uphold at a time when LGBT people continue to face disproportionate levels of bullying and violence just because of who they are."


Earlier, a press-battered Baldwin apologized again for hurling the slur during a shouting match with a photographer yesterday outside his Manhattan apartment, reiterating on MSNBC.com[2] some of what he'd already posted to his Twitter account:



"I would like to address the comments I made this past week.


I did not intend to hurt or offend anyone with my choice of words, but clearly I have – and for that I am deeply sorry. Words are important. I understand that, and will choose mine with great care going forward. What I said and did this week, as I was trying to protect my family, was offensive and unacceptable. Behavior like this undermines hard-fought rights that I vigorously support. I understand Up Late will be taken off the schedule for tonight and next week.


I want to apologize to my loyal fans and to my colleagues at MSNBC – both for my actions and for distracting from their good work. Again, please accept my apology."


Tonight MSNBC aired a prison documentary in lieu of Baldwin's fledgling (and flailing) talk show.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top